In March, (I'm just two months behind, Honor!!:) Emma, Erin, and I spent a day in Chicago. We went with our dear friends, Lucy, Ethan, and Amy. We rode the train from Michigan City to the Theatre district in Chicago to see the Broadway show Mary Poppins. The kids loved riding on the train...all the treats and games helped pass the time. We had to walk about a half mile to the theatre. The kids were just so excited to get to the play that they walked the entire distance without complaining...not to mention it was much COLDER than we had anticipated (no gloves, hats, etc;). I was sure that Emma and Erin would love watching the play as much as I would...or, I thought! Everyone watched very well....for a whole FIFTEEN minutes!!! Then Emma turned to me and said, "Is it almost over?" I could not believe it!! How much did I spend on tickets? Erin watched very well while Emma continued to ask how much longer through the entire Act 1. As intermission approached I told her that we would have a break in the middle where we could stretch our legs. She asks, "Is it half-time, mommy?" That statement alone would make her daddy proud!! After our "half-time", I counted the number of songs in Act 2 and told Emma knowing she would continue to ask me how much longer. She counted down the songs the ENTIRE act. It was a wonderful show. I loved it!! After the show we made our way to a local McDonald's for dinner on the way to the train. Amy asked the kids if they liked the play. Emma responded, "I hated it!! I don't even like the movie!!" Erin seemed to like it, but did not talk about it as much as I thought she would. I think our Broadway experience is on hold for a few years....at least until they can sit through the first act:)
Losing Teeth!
13 years ago
2 comments:
That was too cute! I'm glad you guys had a nice day out, sounds like you had fun! GREAT idea having Emma count down the songs, giving her something else to focus on!
Gotta love the old "the kids will LOVE this" backfiring on you!! Emma is a crack up!! I'm glad you have Erin though to make it "worthwhile"....
Post a Comment